UF Online



Check Your
Status at

Connected at

Combined Degree Programs FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is a combined bachelor's and master's degree program?
A: A combined-degree program allows you to complete a specific number of graduate-level credits (typically ranging from 12 to 21 hours of approved coursework) while enrolled as an undergraduate. Approved hours may satisfy degree requirements for both degrees.

Q: Why should I participate in a combined-degree program?
A: The program allows you to take graduate coursework before you make a decision to complete a graduate degree. If you continue in a graduate program, you'll save at least one full semester of graduate enrollment.

Q: At what point in the undergraduate program should I apply?
A: You can apply as early as the second semester of your sophomore year or as late as your senior year depending upon the combined-degree program.

Q: At what point do I enroll in graduate courses?
A: If approved, you can take graduate courses during your junior and senior years as specified by the particular combined-degree program.

Q: What is required for approval?
A: As an undergraduate applying for entry into a combined-degree program you must have a minimum cumulative 3.2 UF GPA (some majors require a higher GPA) and have completed all critical-tracking requirements (UT6) to enroll in graduate coursework while you are completing your undergraduate degree. Once you apply for admission to the Graduate School, however, you must meet the minimum cumulative GPA requirement and GRE/GMAT score the particular masterís program requires.

Q: What is required so that 12 to 21 hours of graduate coursework (depending on your major) can also count toward my master's degree?
A: To apply the graduate credit to both degrees, you must be admitted to the Graduate School and receive a grade of B or higher in each course. A graduate coordinator can provide the admission requirements for a particular department.

Q: If I do not continue in graduate school, can the graduate coursework I complete still be used to satisfy my undergraduate degree requirements?
A: Yes.

Q: What about my financial aid?
A: Bright Futures and/or Florida Prepay will pay the undergraduate tuition rate for the graduate courses you take; you will have to pay the difference between undergraduate and graduate course costs.

Q: Why would I want to pay additional tuition to enroll in graduate courses?
A: If you continue to graduate school you will save on the tuition costs for the 12 to 21 graduate credits (depending on your major) you take while you are still classified as an undergraduate. Remember that graduate course costs will be partially paid by your undergraduate financial aid.

Q: How do I enroll?
A: Contact your undergraduate adviser and complete the combined degree request.

Q: What if I want to create my own combined-degree program? What do I do?
A: Contact the coordinator in the graduate department in which you want to create the new combined-degree program.

Back to Top